Take the example below. This is from the enlistment documents for William Cooper, dated 5 February 1896, when he was examined to determine his fitness to join the Royal Artillery of the British Army.
He is declared “fit” by the army surgeon:
- Age: 19 years and 6 months;
- Height: 5 feet 8 and a half inches;
- Weight: 147 lbs;
- Chest: Minimum 35 and a half inches;
- Maximum expansion: 38 inches;
- Complexion: Fresh;
- Eyes: Blue;
- Hair: Brown;
- Religious denomination: Church of England; and
- Distinctive marks: “Small mole left side of neck 1 inch below the collar bone”
So, why the picture of actor Kiefer Sutherland? Well, although a bit older than William Cooper, Kiefer has the same height, weight, eye and hair colour as our 1896 recruitee.